King Minos was very sick. His condition was getting worse. He had three sons. He loved them all. He had to announce who would become king. Two of the princes stood waiting outside the kingʻs room. Theseus was the oldest and strongest. He thought his father would make him king. Pelias, the second son, thought differently. He was an expert with weapons. He thought, the king would choose him. “When Iʼm king”, Theseus told Pelias, “Iʼll let you contribute to the defense of our country. You can lead the army.” Pelias became angry. “Father knows Iʼm famous for my sword skills. Heʼll make me king” “You?” Theseus yelled. “He wonʼt choose you!” “The kingdom is mine!” Pelias claimed. “Father will give it to meor Iʼll use force to take it!” Theseus made a sudden move to take out his sword. Then Pelias did the same. “Beating me will be a challenge,” Theseus said. “Fight me now. The winner gets the kingdom!” Pelias agreed. King Minos could hear his sonʼs fighting. The youngest son, Jason, stood beside him. He sensed his fatherʼs sadness. The king laid hishand flat on Jasonʼs arm. “Your brothers fight too much,” the king told him. “I must protect my kingdom from all harm. Theyʼll divide it between them. The people wonʼt know what to do. Thereʼll be war. I canʼt allow either of them to be king. Therefore, Iʼm making you king. Your kindness has always made you special. Itʼs the difference between you and your brothers. You can bring peace. They canʼt. “Then the king died. Theseus and Pelias heard that their youngest brother was king. They were surprised. They realized that their fighting was wrong. It had kept them from saying good bye to their father. They agreed to have Jason as their king. He was the best choice.
Answer the questions
- What is this story about?
- A sudden fight between kings
- A kind prince who got a kingdom
- An expert sister and a famous king
- The challenge to divide the kingdom
- What did the king need to protect the kingdom from?
- The fighting between two princes
- The harm caused by sudden fights
- The differences between the three brothers
- The poor condition of the kingʻs army
- What was probably true of Jason in the story?
- He wanted to bring peace to the kingdom.
- The challenge of being king was too much for him.
- He wanted harm to come to his brothers.
- He hoped to divide the kingdom.
- What was the difference between Jason and his brothers?
- He was an expert with weapons.
- He was older and stronger.
- He made more sense.
- He had always been kind.
Prepared by: Dilnavoz